Just when we thought Congress was moving on from failed efforts to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act (ACA), momentum is quietly building to try again, through yet another legislative effort – the Graham-Cassidy bill. We need to stop this bill in its tracks.
While some Senators are engaging in positive, bipartisan talks to stabilize the ACA marketplaces, proponents of Graham-Cassidy are trying to force a vote on repeal before the end of September (when current budget rules expire that allow the Senate to pass a repeal bill with just 50 votes, plus a tie-breaking vote from the Vice President).
The Graham-Cassidy bill is just as bad as all of the previous repeal efforts, if not worse. It would, among other things:
- Cause 15 million people to become uninsured by next year
- Leave approximately 32 million people uninsured by 2027
- Eliminate ACA’s expansion of Medicaid for low-income people
- Eliminate ACA’s subsidies that help people afford premiums
- Decimate Medicaid through “per capita caps” – leading to funding caps and billions of dollars in cuts
- Allow states to gut consumer protections – including protections for people with pre-existing conditions
It’s time to make your voice heard, again! Previous efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act were defeated because of your loud, public protests.
Efforts to repeal ACA have been secretive from the start, with just a few Senators working behind closed doors, with no hearings or opportunity for input. It should come as no surprise that this latest Senate effort is just as mysterious.
Don’t let the Senate use another secret process to take health care away – with no hearings, and no independent analysis of the bill’s impact.
Don't let the Senate gut health care!
Contact your Senators and your state Governors.
Tell them to protect your care.
- Call your Senators: (202) 224-3121.
- Contact your Governor (find the contact information here)
Thank you for helping #ProtectOurCare!