2019 Sen. Jay Rockefeller Lecturer,
Rep. John Lewis.
Health Care is a Human Right:
Medicare’s Role in Making it a Reality
(Past, Present, Future)
Support the Center for Medicare Advocacy! Join us for our 6th annual National Voices of Medicare Summit and Senator Jay Rockefeller Lecture. This year's program will connect leading experts and advocates to discuss access to health care as a human right, the challenges and successes of Medicare, and where we can go moving forward.
Rep. John Lewis
will deliver this year's
Sen. Jay Rockefeller Lecture
May 9, 2019
8:30 AM – 3:30 PM, EDT
Kaiser Family Foundation
1330 G. Street, NW
Individual Registration: $225.00
In addition to hearing from Rep. Lewis, we will explore the important role Medicare played in desegregating hospitals during the 1960s, how civil rights activism and government action were catalysts for change – and how current leaders and advocacy can help enhance access to quality health care for all. The day will also include:
- Conversations about Health Care Rights, Challenges, and Solutions.
- Discussions about Civil Rights, Access to Care, and Care Giving.
- A preview of the PBS documentary The Power to Heal, about the impact Medicare and government action had on the desegregation of American hospitals with remarks by one of the film’s writers, Anna Reid-Jhirad.
- Other presenters confirmed to date include Tricia Neuman, Senior Vice President, Kaiser Family Foundation; Henry Claypool, Technology Policy Consultant at AAPD and Former Director of the Health and Human Services Office on Disability; Cathy Hurwit, Former Chief of Staff for Rep. Jan Schakowsky; Ben Belton, AARP Global Partner Engagement Director; a direct-care worker from SEIU; and a special appearance by Rep. Rosa DeLauro.
- Stay tuned for exciting news about additional presenters as they are confirmed!
You won’t want to miss this Incredible day!
This course has been approved for a maximum of 4.2 hours' credit
by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission of Alabama.
It is our understanding that by meeting the CLE standards of the state of Alabama,
the Summit will likely also meet the standards in most other states.
We will provide participants who sign the Summit’s CLE Registration list
with a packet of materials they can use when applying for CLE credits in other states.
Sponsorship and advertising opportunities are also available via the registration page or by contacting Scott Perkins, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 293-5760.
As in prior years, the Center has reserved a block of rooms at the Washington at Marriott Metro Center, just a few minutes walk from the venue. These rooms will only be held through April 18, 2019, so reserve yours now at https://aws.passkey.com/e/49829939.