Sabotage of ACA Must Stop
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently released its draft FY 2018- 2022 Strategic Plan. While one of HHS’ stated objectives is to “Improve American’s access to health care and expand choices of care and service options,” we are instead seeing a systematic effort to impede that access. Recent HHS actions include:
- Shutting down http://www.healthcare.gov for significant periods of time almost every weekend during open enrollment. This is problematic for the many people who only have time on weekends to visit the site, research, and shop for a plan that meets their needs.
- Cutting the ACA enrollment period in half.
- Slashing the outreach budget and funding for community organizations that provide enrollment assistance to people who need health coverage.
- Creating uncertainty by refusing – at least so far – to commit to paying cost sharing reductions for the full year. Many insurers have suggested that this intentional uncertainty is causing a spike in rates, sometimes in the double digits.
- Refusing to allow regional staff to participate in outreach and enrollment events.
We Have a Chance to be Heard.
Stop the Sabotage Now!
The Administration is accepting comments on the HHS Draft Strategic Plan right now. Comments are due by October 27, 2017. Submit your feedback today!
- To view the HHS Draft Strategic Plan FY 2018-2022, click here.
- To submit comments to HHS, click here.
Thank you for helping #ProtectOurCare!