It’s All Connected – ACA, Medicaid and Medicare are All Under Threat
President Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have promised to repeal and “replace” the Affordable Care Act. They also plan to gut the Medicaid program by imposing block granting or per-capita caps. Speaker Ryan, HHS Secretary Price, and many others in Congress also want to further privatize Medicare by turning it into a voucher program.
These are not isolated threats to be analyzed and defended against individually. Rather, these efforts comprise a collective threat to the health care and coverage of millions of Americans. Drew Altman of the Kaiser Family Foundation recently noted that, if carried through, this “health policy trifecta” would “fundamentally alter the direction of the federal role in health and core elements of the social contract” in a manner that would be “likely to shift costs to individuals and states as well as reduce consumer protections–and result in a significant increase in the number of uninsured.”
Repeal of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) would eliminate health insurance coverage for over 20 million people. This would include roughly 10 million people who have Medicaid thanks to expanded coverage through the ACA. A full repeal of the ACA would also reduce the solvency of Medicare’s Part A trust fund, re-open the Part D prescription drug “donut hole” and, among other things, remove coverage for a number of preventive services (although some ACA “replacement” proposals quietly keep the Medicare savings in order to offset the costs of killing the ACA).
Gutting the Medicaid program through block-granting or imposing per-capita caps would likely impact tens of millions of low-income families through cuts to eligibility, benefits and provider payments. This would include the roughly 10 million people who have both Medicare and Medicaid (known as “dual eligibles”) for whom Medicaid can cover Medicare premiums, cost-sharing and additional benefits.
Privatizing Medicare through premium support/vouchers would replace Medicare’s promise of a defined benefit with a coupon to shop for coverage, launching the traditional Medicare program chosen by two-thirds of beneficiaries into a death spiral. Read more about Medicare "Reform" and the value of the straditional Medicare program at http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/medicare-reform.
The threats are real. And they are imminent, with some policymakers suggesting that they should all be dealt with at once. Help protect the social contract and stand up for our health care.
- CMA Alert, October 18, 2017 – Nursing Home Rights Roundup; ACA Stabilization; More October 18, 2017
- Statement from the Center for Medicare Advocacy on Trump Administration’s ACA Actions October 18, 2017
- CMA Alert – Open Enrollment Tips; ACA Sabotage; More October 11, 2017
- October 3, 2017
- Statement from Center for Medicare Advocacy on Latest ACA Repeal Effort September 27, 2017
- Senate Holds Single Hearing on Bill to Strip Coverage from Millions – Act Now September 25, 2017
- Graham-Cassidy: It’s Just Worse September 20, 2017
- Leading Medicare Advocates Voice Opposition to Graham-Cassidy Bill September 19, 2017
- URGENT: ACA Repeal Effort Renewed Through Graham-Cassidy Bill. This is Not a Drill – Action Needed! September 15, 2017
- Moving Forward: Let’s Improve Medicare September 13, 2017
- CMA Alert – Congress Returns, Still Threatening Health Care; ACA Sabotage; More September 7, 2017
- The Medicare Rights Center and the Center for Medicare Advocacy Develop New Partnership with Support from The Retirement Research Foundation September 6, 2017
- CMA Alert – Joint Replacement Model Undermines Care; OTC Hearing Aids Legislation Passed; More August 23, 2017
- CMA Alert – Critical Issue Roundup: MA Overpayment; HH Payment; Observation; More August 16, 2017
- Center for Medicare Advocacy Statement on Senate Failure to Pass ACA Repeal July 28, 2017
- CMA Alert – Still Fighting for Health Care as Medicare’s Anniversary Nears; New Fraud Warning July 26, 2017
- Senate Votes to Continue Attack on Health Care July 25, 2017
- CMA Alert – Senate Health Bill, Again; Medicare Trustees Report; HH CoPs; More July 13, 2017
- Health Repeal Myths & Facts: The Fight Continues July 5, 2017
- Congress Leaves for the July 4th Recess, Health Care Repeal Remains a Threat – Continue to Make Your Voice Heard June 30, 2017
- Health Care Repeal Vote Postponed But the Fight is Not Over June 28, 2017
- Health Care Repeal Vote Postponed – But Keep the Pressure On June 27, 2017
- Real People Will be Harmed by House & Senate Health Repeal Bills June 26, 2017
- Senate Releases Draft of Bill to Undermine Health Coverage: Stop the “Better Care Reconciliation Act” June 22, 2017
- Senate Plans to Vote to Gut Health Care Next Week – Act Now to Stop These Cuts! June 21, 2017
- The Senate is Secretly Working to Gut Health Care – Bill Could Pass Soon! June 15, 2017
- Health Care is Under Assault – CBO Score for AHCA, Trump Budget and ACA Sabotage May 25, 2017
- More Than 75 National Organizations Urge U.S. Senate to Defend Medicare and Medicaid May 22, 2017
- Senate Must Reject Health Bill Passed by the House May 17, 2017
- House Passes American Health Care Act – Not American in Spirit or Health Care in Substance May 4, 2017
For older articles, please see our Article Archive.