It’s All Connected – ACA, Medicaid and Medicare are All Under Threat
President Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have promised to repeal and “replace” the Affordable Care Act. They also plan to gut the Medicaid program by imposing block granting or per-capita caps. Speaker Ryan, HHS Secretary Price, and many others in Congress also want to further privatize Medicare by turning it into a voucher program.
These are not isolated threats to be analyzed and defended against individually. Rather, these efforts comprise a collective threat to the health care and coverage of millions of Americans. Drew Altman of the Kaiser Family Foundation recently noted that, if carried through, this “health policy trifecta” would “fundamentally alter the direction of the federal role in health and core elements of the social contract” in a manner that would be “likely to shift costs to individuals and states as well as reduce consumer protections–and result in a significant increase in the number of uninsured.”
Repeal of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) would eliminate health insurance coverage for over 20 million people. This would include roughly 10 million people who have Medicaid thanks to expanded coverage through the ACA. A full repeal of the ACA would also reduce the solvency of Medicare’s Part A trust fund, re-open the Part D prescription drug “donut hole” and, among other things, remove coverage for a number of preventive services (although some ACA “replacement” proposals quietly keep the Medicare savings in order to offset the costs of killing the ACA).
Gutting the Medicaid program through block-granting or imposing per-capita caps would likely impact tens of millions of low-income families through cuts to eligibility, benefits and provider payments. This would include the roughly 10 million people who have both Medicare and Medicaid (known as “dual eligibles”) for whom Medicaid can cover Medicare premiums, cost-sharing and additional benefits.
Privatizing Medicare through premium support/vouchers would replace Medicare’s promise of a defined benefit with a coupon to shop for coverage, launching the traditional Medicare program chosen by two-thirds of beneficiaries into a death spiral. Read more about Medicare "Reform" and the value of the straditional Medicare program at http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/medicare-reform.
The threats are real. And they are imminent, with some policymakers suggesting that they should all be dealt with at once. Help protect the social contract and stand up for our health care.
- This Week in Healthcare Sabotage: Administration Wants Older People to Pay More March 8, 2018
- A Big Week In Health Care Sabotage March 1, 2018
- This Week in Healthcare Sabotage February 22, 2018
- Health Care Sabotage Continues February 14, 2018
- President’s Budget Targets Key Health Care Programs; Millions at Risk if Implemented February 14, 2018
- Center for Medicare Advocacy Statement on the Health Extenders in the Budget Agreement February 9, 2018
- State of the Union Speech Touches on Health Care Issues January 31, 2018
- How to Listen to Tonight’s State of the Union Address January 30, 2018
- Remember People with Medicare in Renewed Spending Bill Debates January 24, 2018
- People with Medicare Largely Forgotten in Spending Bill Debate January 23, 2018
- Health Care Sabotage Continues January 17, 2018
- Remembering Martin Luther King in 2018 January 10, 2018
- CMA Alert – Tax Cuts will Hurt, Not Help; Sherman Fairness Hearing Set; “Homebound” Settlement Objections Due; More December 20, 2017
- Advocacy Organizations Opposed to Congressional Tax Plan December 15, 2017
- CMA Alert – SNF Enforcement Halted; Know Your Medicare Appeals; Ultimate Health Care Sabotage; More December 6, 2017
- CMA Alert – The REST of the Tax Cut Plan; “Jimmo” Improvement Standard Update; QMB News; Enrollment Periods End Soon November 30, 2017
- Help Stop the Devastating Tax Bills. Call Congress Now! November 29, 2017
- More than 40 Organizations Join Together in Opposition to Senate’s Tax Cuts & Jobs Act November 29, 2017
- Tax Bill Talking Points and Action Steps November 17, 2017
- House Passes Damaging Tax Bill, Health Advocates Urge Senate to Rethink Their Plan November 16, 2017
- Alert – Tax Cut Harm Just Got Worse; This Week in Sabotage; CMS Pushing MA Plans; SNF Deregulation November 15, 2017
- Tax Cut Bill Just Got Worse. Health Care at Risk. November 15, 2017
- Alert – Spotlight on Medicare Home Health Care; Tax Cuts Set Stage for Medicare/Medicaid Cuts; ACA News November 8, 2017
- Joint Statement from Center for Medicare Advocacy and Medicare Rights Center on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act November 3, 2017
- CMA Alert – It’s Enrollment Season; CMS Reissues HH Booklet; “Homebound” Case Settlement; More November 1, 2017
- Federal Judge Fails to Protect Affordable Care Act Subsidies October 26, 2017
- CMA Alert – Remember You CAN Choose Original Medicare; Equitable Relief; This Week’s Sabotage News October 25, 2017
- CMA Alert, October 18, 2017 – Nursing Home Rights Roundup; ACA Stabilization; More October 18, 2017
- Statement from the Center for Medicare Advocacy on Trump Administration’s ACA Actions October 18, 2017
- CMA Alert – Open Enrollment Tips; ACA Sabotage; More October 11, 2017
For older articles, please see our Article Archive.