It’s All Connected – ACA, Medicaid and Medicare are All Under Threat
President Trump and Republican leaders in Congress have promised to repeal and “replace” the Affordable Care Act. They also plan to gut the Medicaid program by imposing block granting or per-capita caps. Speaker Ryan, HHS Secretary Price, and many others in Congress also want to further privatize Medicare by turning it into a voucher program.
These are not isolated threats to be analyzed and defended against individually. Rather, these efforts comprise a collective threat to the health care and coverage of millions of Americans. Drew Altman of the Kaiser Family Foundation recently noted that, if carried through, this “health policy trifecta” would “fundamentally alter the direction of the federal role in health and core elements of the social contract” in a manner that would be “likely to shift costs to individuals and states as well as reduce consumer protections–and result in a significant increase in the number of uninsured.”
Repeal of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) would eliminate health insurance coverage for over 20 million people. This would include roughly 10 million people who have Medicaid thanks to expanded coverage through the ACA. A full repeal of the ACA would also reduce the solvency of Medicare’s Part A trust fund, re-open the Part D prescription drug “donut hole” and, among other things, remove coverage for a number of preventive services (although some ACA “replacement” proposals quietly keep the Medicare savings in order to offset the costs of killing the ACA).
Gutting the Medicaid program through block-granting or imposing per-capita caps would likely impact tens of millions of low-income families through cuts to eligibility, benefits and provider payments. This would include the roughly 10 million people who have both Medicare and Medicaid (known as “dual eligibles”) for whom Medicaid can cover Medicare premiums, cost-sharing and additional benefits.
Privatizing Medicare through premium support/vouchers would replace Medicare’s promise of a defined benefit with a coupon to shop for coverage, launching the traditional Medicare program chosen by two-thirds of beneficiaries into a death spiral. Read more about Medicare "Reform" and the value of the straditional Medicare program at http://www.medicareadvocacy.org/medicare-reform.
The threats are real. And they are imminent, with some policymakers suggesting that they should all be dealt with at once. Help protect the social contract and stand up for our health care.
- CMA Alert – Critical Issue Roundup: MA Overpayment; HH Payment; Observation; More August 16, 2017
- Center for Medicare Advocacy Statement on Senate Failure to Pass ACA Repeal July 28, 2017
- CMA Alert – Still Fighting for Health Care as Medicare’s Anniversary Nears; New Fraud Warning July 26, 2017
- Senate Votes to Continue Attack on Health Care July 25, 2017
- CMA Alert – Senate Health Bill, Again; Medicare Trustees Report; HH CoPs; More July 13, 2017
- Health Repeal Myths & Facts: The Fight Continues July 5, 2017
- Congress Leaves for the July 4th Recess, Health Care Repeal Remains a Threat – Continue to Make Your Voice Heard June 30, 2017
- Health Care Repeal Vote Postponed But the Fight is Not Over June 28, 2017
- Health Care Repeal Vote Postponed – But Keep the Pressure On June 27, 2017
- Real People Will be Harmed by House & Senate Health Repeal Bills June 26, 2017
- Senate Releases Draft of Bill to Undermine Health Coverage: Stop the “Better Care Reconciliation Act” June 22, 2017
- Senate Plans to Vote to Gut Health Care Next Week – Act Now to Stop These Cuts! June 21, 2017
- The Senate is Secretly Working to Gut Health Care – Bill Could Pass Soon! June 15, 2017
- Health Care is Under Assault – CBO Score for AHCA, Trump Budget and ACA Sabotage May 25, 2017
- More Than 75 National Organizations Urge U.S. Senate to Defend Medicare and Medicaid May 22, 2017
- Senate Must Reject Health Bill Passed by the House May 17, 2017
- House Passes American Health Care Act – Not American in Spirit or Health Care in Substance May 4, 2017
- ACA Repeal Bill Keeps Getting Worse – Congress Must Reject It Today March 24, 2017
- House Poised to Vote on Bill Gutting the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid, and Undermining Medicare – Act Now March 22, 2017
- The Affordable Care Act in 2017: Myths and Facts March 15, 2017
- CBO Report Confirms ACA Repeal Legislation Will Reduce Health Coverage, Care and Undermine Medicare March 15, 2017
- Statement: CBO Report Confirms ACA Repeal Legislation Will Reduce Health Coverage, Care and Undermine Medicare March 14, 2017
- Medicaid is Essential for Millions of Medicare Beneficiaries March 8, 2017
- American Health Care Act (AHCA): A Repeal and Regress Plan March 7, 2017
- 100 National Organizations Urge Congress to Reject Radical Changes to Medicaid March 3, 2017
- Health Savings Accounts and Medicare Beneficiaries March 1, 2017
- President Trump’s Address to Congress Brings No New News on Health March 1, 2017
- Back to the Future: High Risk Pools Annotated Bibliography February 22, 2017
- Repealing Medicaid Expansion Could Lead to Thousands of Deaths in the U.S. Annually February 22, 2017
- House Republicans Present Outline of Plan that Would Gut Health Coverage February 21, 2017
For older articles, please see our Article Archive.